Thursday, July 31, 2014

Saying Goodbye to the Dragons

As I opened the library door today, I felt sad. It was the last time that I would enter the stacks as the Librarian. I felt as if I was saying goodbye to my best friend, but then realized that it was even greater than that. I was saying goodbye to every book, character, page and story that I had been keeper of. I will miss mending pages, covering dust jackets, shelving, sharing and reading those beautiful books. Not only do they keep stories between covers, but also their story that has been created here in the stacks. Each arrived as a mass marketed clean and new book. Then they were catalogued, stamped and delivered into the hands of eager readers, beginning their journey. Some have been soiled from dirty hands, others read so often that the pages have had to be mended and replaced, a few of the unfortunate have found their way into younger siblings hands to be marked on by pen or crayon and a few chewed on by a family pet; each taking on individual qualities and lending themselves to the literacy development of young minds. I have come to love these books for all their imperfections and extended stories. I will miss them and hope that the new "keeper of the books" will take care of them and love them as I have.
I will forever look back on my time as a DES Dragon with pride, gratitude and friendship. Goodbye my Dragon friends and thank you for making every moment that I was part of your community of learners a magical one.

No comments:

Post a Comment