Friday, July 25, 2014

Zucchini Dreamin

Wow!!! What a beautiful morning. I am glad that I covered the garden last night, because there was a thin layer of frost on the sheets. It was my worry over the garden that had me up before the alarm clock. Here in the mountains the growing season is so short. Last year my zucchini froze on the 4th of July, but this year I am determined to harvest! Zucchini bread, cookies, pancakes and of course the fried and grilled zucchini recipes are waiting....spotless from never being used. This year I will diligently watch the weather report. I will cover them when needed. I will water, weed, and wait for those beautiful green veggies. This is the year that my garden will be "bountiful".

My husband has helped to make my gardening more successful this year. Before moving to our home here on West Mountain we lived in Boise. The weather was perfect and gave me the false sense of a green thumb. I thought that I was a wonderful gardener.....I even referred to myself as a "plant whisperer", but then the move. That green thumb turned into a wilted phalange.  I was depressed and last year I swore off gardening "forever". So, this spring my husband started scrapping wood from work and built me two beautiful raised beds. He then was able to pick up some compost from a local farmer and filled them. I was still stand-offish. Let him plant the garden..good luck!!! But then he twisted my arm. He took me to the local nursery for Mother's Day and he and the kids bought me plants, seeds and tools and now here I am with two raised beds that are producing. We have harvested beets, peppers, carrots, lettuce and herbs this summer, but are still waiting for that elusive first zucchini.

No comments:

Post a Comment